I’m getting a bit older. I am *gulp* 38. I have a nine-year-old son. This nine-year-old has developed a certain taste in music.
We have Sirius/XM radio. My station of choice is channel 28, “The Spectrum.” The kid’s station of choice is Channel 2, “Hits 1.” It’s been interesting, the last few months (BTW, I blame my husband for the kid even knowing that Channel 2 exists).
Some things I’ve learned:
- Three things about Taylor Swift: She likes to wear red lipstick, she likes bad boys, and she is incapable of having a long-term relationship. Also, apparently there’s bad blood between her and Katy Perry?!
- Explaining who Uma Thurman is, and how she dances, is not particularly easy. Um, she’s an actress, and a long time ago she did this weird dance with an actor named John Travolta …
- *Disclaimer: I love this song* Trying to define, “Exes and Ohs” is not as easy as one would think. An overly enthusiastic, “IT MEANS HUGS AND KISSES, RIGHT DADDY?” is what I came up with (hold the applause).
- He will never understand how awesome Macklemore/Ryan Lewis’ “Downtown” is. (One of approximately two songs that I enjoy on this station).
- Justin Bieber’s “What Do You Mean” concretely explains why he and Selena Gomez (and every other woman) are not/no longer with him.
- Former Disney stars are kind of slutty (e.g. Demi Lovato’s “Cool for the Summer”).
- His favorite songs are:
- “Honey I’m Good” by Andy Grammar. Um, I am really uncomfortable with my son loving a song about a guy who is “so honorable” that he refuses to have another drink and go home with another woman.
- “Can’t Feel My Face” by The Weekend. Why can’t he feel his face? And why does he like it?
- “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon. Catchy, but I don’t understand. I feel like it cannot be as innocent as it sounds.
- “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten. He can actually have decent taste. Like I tried to raise him (on Vampire Weekend, Mumford & Sons, and Avett Brothers. And great, empowering songs).